Answered By: Reegan B. Last Updated: Jun 27, 2018 Views: 113
The Winnipeg Public Library Mobile App.
Staying connected has never been easier!
The Winnipeg Public Library mobile app, currently available in the Google Play Store and soon to arrive in the Apple Store, is easy to use and lets you connect with the library 24/7. There is so much that you can explore using the app!
The app has many great features, including links to the online Programs and Events calendar, librarian-selected information tools, our eMedia, and more! Here are some key features worth highlighting:
1. Search the Catalogue.
You can search the catalogue two ways:
1. Enter words in the search bar on the main page of the app and then tap on "Search" in your mobile device's keyboard.
2. Tap on the magnifying glass. You'll be taken to a new search screen where you can enter your search words. On this screen you can also apply filters to narrow your search and scan the ISBN barcode of any book to see if it is available to borrow from the library.
2. Manage Your Account.
Sign in to your Account:
Tap on "My Account" or the 3-line menu icon from the main screen of the app and then tap on Sign In. You'll be taken to a page where you enter your library barcode number and PIN (generally the last four digits of your phone number).
When you sign in to your account in the app you'll be able to see:
- Checkouts: What you have checked out and when these items are due.
- Holds: Items you've requested and the status of each request.
- Notifications: Account notifications, including holds that you've requested and deleted, hold notifications received, fines, fees, etc.
- Devices: If you are signed into the app on more than one mobile device, this will show up under devices.
- Linked accounts: You can link family members' accounts in the app! If you've done this they will show up in this section. More information on how to set that up follows.
- Preferences: Where you can reorder the app sections to have the areas most important to you featured on the main page of the app. This is particularly useful if you are using a mobile phone.
- Language: The app is available in English and French. You can change your language preferences in My Account.
Link a family member's account:
Families can now store multiple library cards in the app! With this feature, you can keep track of the items borrowed on a family member's account so that you are aware of when these items are due. Here are the steps to add a family member's account to the app:
- Under My Account tap on Linked Accounts
- Tap on +ADD in the top right corner
- Enter your family member's information
- Tap Link
See the app sections that you want to see first. Re-order the sections in the app.
The sections in the app can be reordered to best fit your needs. If you'd like to have "Programs and Events" at the top of the list of sections, you can move it to that spot.
To reorder the sections in the app, tap on the 3-line menu in the top right corner of the app and then tap on Preferences. You'll be taken to a page that lists the order of the app sections. Tap and hold on the 3-line icon to the right of the section. Drag and drop the section to where you'd prefer it in the list.
Change the app language from English to French
We're happy to be able to provide the app in English and French. The app will default to English. Follow these steps to change it to French:
- Tap the 3-line menu icon on the main page of the app.
- Tap "Language".
- Tap Français.
- Tap "Switch Language".
3. Borrow materials using the app as your library card.
When you are signed into the app "My Barcode" will show up at the bottom of the screen. Tap on this and your barcode will come up ready to scan at the checkout desk or self-checkout station. If you have linked a family member's account, their barcode will also be available.
4. Use "Scan an ISBN Barcode" to find out if a book is available at the library.
You're at the bookstore or a friend's house and see a book that you'd like to read. With the app, it's easy to find out if it's available at the library and there are two ways to do this:
1. Tap the "Scan an ISBN Barcode" section in the main area of the app or by tapping the magnifying glass beside "Search Catalogue" and then tapping "Scan an ISBN Barcode".
2. Using the camera in your mobile device, scan the ISBN barcode located on the back cover of the item. After the barcode is scanned, the app will search the library catalogue. If the item is available it'll show up in the search results.
Have fun exploring the app!
Please Ask Us! if you have any questions. We're here to help.