Answered By: Mike E. Last Updated: Feb 09, 2018 Views: 5049
Kanopy and Hoopla both offer streaming video through libraries. They both operate on a credit per month system to help libraries control costs (as of February 2018, both services allow 5 credits per month per WPL cardholder). However, there are some differences:
- Hoopla also offers music albums.
- Hoopla also offers a download for offline viewing option but Kanopy only streams video, so you will always need an Internet connection to use Kanopy.
- Hoopla is aimed more at popular entertainment, where Kanopy focuses more on documentaries and independent and classic films. However both are great sources of entertainment.
- Kanopy has more online learning content than Hoopla.
Related FAQ Entries
- I have been trying Kanopy to see if our library should buy it, and it does now (early 2019) allow download. There is a limit of 1 per day as far as I can see.
- Hi Betsy,
I hope that is indeed the case for you. Kanopy has not made us aware of this, and it's possible that their Canadian distribution rights don't cover download. We'll ask them.