Answered By: Sophie Firby Last Updated: Feb 05, 2018 Views: 9256
As of June 1st, 2016, the monthly checkout limit for hoopla digital has been reduced from 10 per user to 5 per user.
We understand that this will be a disappointing change for some users, but it was necessary due to overwhelming demand on the hoopla product.
Our thanks for your understanding on this issue.
Edited September 5, 2017: We didn't make this entirely clear in this FAQ last year, but hoopla is a pay-per-use service. Every time one of our members checks out a hoopla item the Winnipeg Public Library is charged for its use. This differs from physical audiobooks, CDs, and DVD/Blu-Ray movies, where we may be able to check out an individual item many times for one purchase. As hoopla grew in popularity among Winnipeg Public Library members, it began to use an unsustainable portion of our budget. We are exploring what options we might have to provide increased access to the types of content available on hoopla. We already have some options for you that have no monthly limits, such as:
- Overdrive (ebooks, eAudiobooks, and now video)
- RBdigital (eAudiobooks)
- NAXOS Music Library (streaming music)
- NAXOS Jazz (streaming jazz music)
- Tumble Book Library Animated, talking children's picture books created from existing books with quizzes, puzzles and memory games. Now iPad-friendly!
- Tumble Book Cloud Jr. (TumbleBookCloud Junior is a collection of videos and chapter books designed specifically for kids in grades two to six)
- Tumble Book Cloud (Features eBooks, read-alongs, classic works of literature and audiobooks geared towards middle school, high school and EAL audiences.)
Related FAQ Entries
- Man, this is a bummer! My kids will chew through five audiobooks in a week.
- I wish they'd raise the limit back to 10. I can listen to an entire book at work and I usually return it when it's done. I love having Hoopla and want to continue using it. I just hope the limit is raised back to 10. Thank you.
- I thought that 10 titles per month was restrictive. 5 titles seems almost ridiculous!
- What exactly is the reason for the lowered limits? I understand only allowing a few books to be checked out to one person at a time, but once they are returned, why limit how many more times we can borrow?
- The reason for the checkout limit is that the library pays for each title borrowed on hoopla on a per-use basis (instead of paying full price for a title at the outset, we pay a smaller amount each time it's checked out). Due to the increasing popularity of the hoopla service, we needed to put the checkout limit in place or risk not being able to pay for the service anymore. We are sorry for the inconvenience and we are working on alternate solutions to help mitigate the loss.
- I'm only allowed two items per month for some reason. Very disappointing!
- I also hope that the number of loans will be increased. It's hard for me and my kids to both make use of it. Picture books are so short that 5 books a month is very limiting. We love all the services the library provides and hope that something can be done to allow greater access to hoopla.
- I agree that having alimit for number of checked out items at one time but strongly disagree with the number in a month. I like to lisson to books 2 when doing thing and did a few videos in less then 1 week and now I am locked out for a month. 1 movie, an single educational video and a mini tv series (2). All videos returned when I was finished watching and in 4 days I reached the limit and can not checkout anything for a full month. This limit makes this app worthless! If you do audio books and read without doing any videos 1 a week you will do more then the limit this app has.
- I'm also missing the 10 item limit. The limit of 5 items per month has resulted in my checking Hoopla less often. If you wished for less use...mission accomplished.
- If this functions through the library card then it should have the same rules, once you return what you borrow you may borrow more items. Could someone explain why it can't function this way? Is it a licencing thing?
- I listen to Audio books while at work and hate the fact that I go thru my 5 limit per month so fast. This is very sad. I hope the we can go back to the 10 limit.
- I listen @ work and can go through 1 book a day easily. If we return the books it should allow us to add another. This is very disappointing. The library should have expected the overwhelming response to using Hoopla in this digital day and age. Please change it back to at least 10 books a month.
- Hoopla is very good service but the 5 per month makes a disservice. Even 10 per month is very limiting, now they don't increase that but reduce it instead. Feels like going back in time with all the rising internet activities.
- Thank you to the administrator for your response. I was so disappointed when I was notified I wouldn't be able to borrow any more titles this month. I hope you are able to work out an alternative and increase borrowing soon!!
- My checkout limit is now down to ONE per month. So it went from 10, to 5, to 2, and now 1.
- 5 books a month limit runs counter to what a product like this stands for, especially in this digital age. Please reconsider and discover new ways to deliver this promise!
- Hi Questie. You should not be getting less than five (5) hoopla checkouts per month. I will email you at the address you gave us in your comment to see what's gone awry.
- Hi JP. Remember that your whole family can have individual accounts. Each family member gets five checkouts.
- Hi Lynda. Overdrive (https://winnipeg.overdrive.com) works the way you are describing. You can have 10 items out at once, and when you finish one and return it, you can immediately take out another. You may have to wait a bit for a specific eAudiobook to become available, but it is all-you-can-eat.
- Hi Sasha. Yes, it's licensing. As we now say in the updated FAQ, every hoopla checkout costs WPL a set amount. The more people use it, the more it costs, and it was costing more than we could afford. Sorry.
- Hi MM. We had to limit it because each and every borrow costs WPL a certain amount, depending on the title depending on type, popularity, newness, etc. As much as we wanted to, we just couldn't afford to keep the limit at ten.
- Why I only can borrow 2 instead of 5?
- In response to the customer who asked why they only had 2 credits instead of 5, I have no good answer for that if you or someone you know who has access to your account didn't already use them that month. Use the form at http://wpl.winnipeg.ca/library/contactus/askus.asp if this happens again.