Answered By: Mike E. Last Updated: Feb 09, 2018 Views: 13
Yes (with the right TV or accessories).
There are a number of ways to play Kanopy on your TV, including:
- The 4th generation or newer Apple TV boxes and Roku boxes, sticks, and TVs can install a Kanopy app and can be controlled with a remote.
- The 3rd generation and older Apple TV can play Kanopy by mirroring your iPod, iPhone, or iPad screen using Airplay. You control playback from your Apple mobile device, and it must be present and running the app to work.
- Chromecast "boxes" or TVs with built in Chromecast receiving can play Kanopy by mirroring from your iOS or Android mobile device. You control playback from your mobile device, and it must be present and running the app to work.
- Using an HDMI cable, if your computer or mobile device can send video out through an HDMI cable and your TV has an HDMI input available. You control playback from your device, and it must be present and running the app or web browser to work.
- A number of newer TVs, game consoles, and addon boxes and sticks support another standard for mirroring devices called Miracast (sometimes it is just referred to as screen mirroring) which is supported by most newer Windows tablets and laptops and Android mobile devices. This is probably the least desirable method to play Kanopy on your TV, as we have seen that sometimes the audio track can become slightly out-of-synch with the video. You control playback from your device, and it must be present and running the app or web browser to work. The YouTube video below has a good explanation of how this is achieved on Windows 10.
If you have more than one Kanopy capable device, you can sign each one in with a different cardholder's Kanopy account.
Related FAQ Entries
Ask Your Question By Email
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask Us!
Contact Winnipeg Public Library: